6 drumsticks (without skin)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 inch ginger (grated)
1 green chilie (minced)
2 teaspoons tandoori masala (can be found in ethnic section of most stores)
1 teaspoon red chilie powder
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
5-6 drops red food coloring (or enough to tint it red)
- Remove skin and clean drumsticks thoroughly under running water.Pat dry and set aside.
- Then cut two to three slits into each drumstick to allow the marinade to penetrate.
- Prepare garlic, ginger, and chilies and toss into a mixing bowl.
- Then add tandoori masala, red chilie powder, yogurt, and mayonnaise.
- Add red food coloring and mix.
- Place drumsticks into a large plastic container for marinating and season with 1 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add flour and coat.
- Then pour in the marinade and work evenly over the meat with your hands, vigorously rubbing it in.
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least 4-6 hours, or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil, place drumsticks on top, and then brush with melted butter.
- Cook chicken for about 30-35 minutes, turning in between, or until fully cooked and tender.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top, tent the chicken with foil, and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Served alongside red onions and large slices of lemon, this dish is perfect as an appetizer or main meal.