- 2 lbs. white-fish fillets,
- fresh or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil (for frying)
- fresh coriander or parsley,
- for lemon wedges, for garnish
- Rinse fish under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, salt, ginger, turmeric, and black and cayenne peppers with lemon juice.
- Stir to form a paste. Rub paste on both sides of fish fillets and let stand uncovered at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Carefully add fish to skillet. Fry fish about 5 minutes, or until bottom side is golden brown.
- With a spatula, turn fish and fry other side about 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- * Place fish on a platter and garnish with fresh coriander or parsley and lemon wedges.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
*For a healthier version of this recipe, omit Step 4. Instead, brush each fillet with a little canola oil. Place fish on a cookie sheet or in a casserole dish and broil in the oven for 5 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes when pulled with a fork and is no longer transparent.