- 1 cup Basmathi rice
- 1 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1 small Finely sliced onion
- 6 Cloves
- 1″ Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seed
For Mixing with rice before serving:
A) 1/4 c frozen peas (boiled), salt, 6 drops green food coloring mixed with 1 t water.
B) 1/4 c diced tomatoes, 1/4 t red pepper, salt, Garam Masala, 6 drops red food coloring mixed in 2 t water.
- 1 Thinly sliced onion
- 2 1/4 c Ghee
- 1 oz Almonds
- 1 oz Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 oz Golden raisins
- 1 oz Pistachio nuts
- 1″ piece Ginger thinly sliced
- 1 Green chili (optional)
- 1 Hard boiled egg
- Clean, wash, and soak rice in 1 3/4 c water for pressure cooking, or in 2 cups of water for pan cooking. Heat oil and fry the onions.
- Add whole spices. Fry 1 minute. Add rice and fry for 2/3 minutes to coat the rice grains with oil.
- Add the water which the rice was soaking in. Pressure cook, building up the pressure to 15 psi and let drop, OR cook in a pan bringing to full boil then down to a simmer followed by 20 minutes of cooking until the rice is done.
- Divide rice into three parts. Thoroughly mix A with one part and B with another. Leave the last part plain. Keep rice separate and warm in the oven.
(C) Meanwhile fry the onion until it is crisp. Remove and fry almonds, cashew nuts,pistachios, raisins, ginger and chili. Chop egg and sprinkle with salt. Keep warm until required.
To serve, place onions, nuts, chopped egg and all of (C) in a dish and spread the three batches of rice in clumps above it aesthetically.