2½ cups Basmati Rice (washed & soaked in water for 20 mins and drained
2 cups Methi/Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
1 cup Matar/Green Peas
1 large Onion (roughly chopped or sliced)
3-4 Green Chillies, slit (adjust acc to taste)
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
½ cup Coconut Milk (fresh/canned)
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
4 green Cardamoms, bruised
2 Bay Leaves
5-8 Black Peppercorns
½ tbsp Zeera/Cumin Seeds
2 tbsp Ghee (no Oil please!)
Few Cashews, roasted to golden in little Ghee
Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, bay leaves & black peppers).
- Sauté it for a minute or two on low flames till you get the divine perfume of roasted spices in ghee.
- Add cumin seeds and stir well. Once it starts to crackle, add onion, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and sauté till onions turn translucent, about 2 mins.
- Mix in fresh fenugreek leaves and stir fry till the leaves starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- mix in rice and sauté for a minute or two till every grain is coated with ghee.
- Add lilva along with salt to taste and water (about 4½ cups).
- Cover the lid and simmer the heat and let it cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked thoroughly, gently mix roasted cashews.
- Serve this delicious bowl of Methi Matar Pulao with any spicy Curry of your choice or plain yogurt/raita and enjoy.