500 gms Basmati Rice (pre-soaked in water for 1 hour).
1kg. of Mutton (lamb) chopped in 1 inch chunks
2 tsp Garam Masala.
5 nos Red chilies
3 tbsp of Turmeric powder
6 nos. Green chilies
A handful of cashew nuts
5 nos fine sliced Onions
3 nos. Cardamoms
2 nos. Cloves
2 Cinnamon sticks
4 tsp. Ginger Garlic paste
1 small bunch of chopped Coriander leaves
1 small bunch of chopped Pudina (Mint) Leaves
2 pinches Saffron (dissolved in ¾ cup milk)
1 cup beaten Yoghurt
8 tbsp of Lime juice
4 nos boiled Eggs
6 tbsp. Ghee (clarified butter)/Butter /Oil
Salt to taste
- In a large bowl mix the mutton chunks with yoghurt, one tbsp garam masala, turmeric, garlic- ginger paste and salt. Marinate this mixture for at least 3-4 hours in refrigerator.
- Make a fine paste of red chilies and cashew nuts.
- Heat 3 tb.sp. of ghee and pour it on the red chili masala, fry it for 3 minutes and keep aside.
- Fry ¼ of the onion slices to golden brown and add the marinated mutton to it.
- Fry this mixture on medium flame till ghee separates. Then add 1½ cups of warm water to it and cook on a low flame till tender.
- Fry the remaining onion to golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wok and immediately add Cardamoms, Cloves, Cinnamon sticks to it, fry for a while and add the pre-soaked rice to it.
- Fry the rice a little then add the fried green chilies masala and some salt to it.Add enough boiled water in wok and cook till the rice is half done.
- Drain any excess water and Sspread the rice on a plate.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp. garam masala , fried onion the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and keep this mixture aside.
- Take a heavy wok and add 3 tb.sp. ghee .Make a layer of rice at bottom and above that ¼ of the mutton. Sprinkle half of mixture of coriander leaves and 1 tb.sp. lime juice.
- Make such 2-3 layers of rice followed by a mutton mixture. Top layer should be of a rice .Sprinkle saffron milk on the top of it.
- Cover the wok tightly and cook on a low flame it for 20 to 30 minutes tll the rice is done.
- Garnish the Hydrabadi mutton biryani with boiled egg cuts, fried onions and serve it hot.