Hyderabadi Haleem – Ramadan Special Dish
“Haleem” which is usually prepared during the holy month of Ramadan and is prepared literally in every possible restaurant in Hyderabad. Am sure most of you are already familiar with this recipe, but today am putting up this recipe.
1. Mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, chilli and coriander paste, cardamom and cinnamon powder, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt.
2. Marinate the meat in this mixture and leave 3-4 hours. Add enough water to the wheat and cook till tender. When cool enough to handle, blend to a paste in a blender.
3. Heat the oil and add the meat mixture. Turn around over high heat, till opaque.
4. Add water to cover and cook, covered over low heat till tender.
5. Add the wheat paste and continue to cook another 15-20 minutes.
* 1 kg: Mutton-boneless, cubed
* 1 kg: Cracked wheat-soaked in water for » one hour and drained
* 1 ½ cup: Yogurt
* 1 tbsp: Ginger-garlic paste
* 1 ¼ cup: Onions-chopped fine
* 1 tsp: Green chilli paste
* 2 tsp: Green coriander paste
* ¼ cup: Lemon juice
* 3-4: Black cardamoms-seeds only 3
* ½ tsp: Cinnamon-broken and powdered
* 1 tsp: Chilli powder
* 1/2cup: Oil
* 2 tsp: Salt
* Green chillies and mint leaves for garnish