225g Long-Grain Rice
6 Chicken Thighs, skinless boneless, cut into small pieces
400g Chickpeas (Caned) drained and rinsed
1 Onion, sliced
750ml Chicken Stock (Hot)
1 pinch Saffron Threads
2 tsp Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 Red Pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
2 Bay Leaves
60g Cashew nuts, toasted
3 tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, chopped
- Crumble the saffron threads into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water, and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large saucepan, add the chicken, coriander, and cumin, and fry over a medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Lower the heat, adds the rest of the oil, the onion, red pepper, and garlic, and fry for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the rice, return the chicken to the pan and pour in about three-quarters of the stock.
- Add the bay leaves and saffron with its soaking water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is almost cooked, adding more stock as needed. Stir in the chickpeas and sultanas, and continue cooking until the rice is tender.
- Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot, sprinkled with the toasted nuts and chopped parsley.