Chicken Cheese Open Sandwich Recipe
Chicken Cheese Open Sandwich Recipe Although the BLT usually steals the spot light at this time of year with all of the field ripened tomatoes around, another great way to enjoy them is simply in an open-faced sandwich covered in melted cheese. It is really hard to beat the tomato and cheddar combo, especially if that cheddar is all melted and good but throw a touch of tangy mayo and fresh cracked black pepper and you’ve really got a winner in under 10 minutes!
- 4 single chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- Olive oil spray
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stone removed
- 4 tablespoons spreadable cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices Italian-style bread
- 8 slices Colby cheese, halved
- 120g snow pea sprouts, trimmed, optional
Step 1 – Preheat a barbeque chargrill plate on mediumhigh. Spray both sides of chicken with oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook chicken for 4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
Step 2 – Mash avocado flesh and cream cheese together in a bowl. Add shallots, tomatoes and lemon juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
Step 3 – Preheat a grill to medium. Place bread on grill tray and cook for 2 minutes each side or until toasted.
Step 4 – Spread one side of each slice of bread with the avocado mixture. Top with chicken, then cheese. Return to grill. Cook until cheese melts. Top with snow pea sprouts, if desired, and serve immediately.